Friday, December 16, 2022

Faith with out works ???


The apostle James made the controversial comment that “Faith without works is dead.” In James 2: 14 -18 he describes faith without works thus. ”What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.” NKJV

The Lord Jesus spoke of the need to bring forth fruit. In John 15: 1-8 he describes the situation like this ““I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.” NKJV

To me these two scriptures are essentially intimating the same thing. If you have faith in the redemptive work of Christ Jesus on the Cross then you abide in Him. If you obey Acts 2:38 which says “Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” NASB
Then the Holy Spirit abides in you and you in Him. In Christ you are justified and in this life the indwelling Holy Spirit is perfecting your faith while at the same time sanctifying you and producing works which will generate much fruit.

So if a person claims to be a Christian and to be abiding in Christ but there is not a visible sign of this relationship and no fruit seem to be produced. Then this is faith without works which is dead faith and as Jesus said if we don’t abide in Him we whither and die and are gathered and thrown in the fire.  

Faith without works is dead (James 2:4-18).

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Rapture

  Hebrews 9:28 ESV   So Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin b...