Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Oh! I'm a Sheep…

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

John 10:14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. 17 For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”

 

From <https://www.blueletterbible.org/esv/jhn/10/1/s_1007001>

 

I have always struggled to understand how God could care about me. How I a sinner, a fallen man, could ever be desirable to Adonai Elohim. What is there about me that merits His love and forgiveness. Especially, when you factor in that repentance is a daily struggle for me and one that I am seldom the victor in.

 

I have always appreciated that Jesus said He was the good shepherd in a kind of 'That's so cool God kind of way.' You know, soft woolly feelings of cuteness and warm fuzzy hearts. I just didn't understand what He was actually saying here. I almost completely missed the most important thing in John's gospel.

 

You see Jesus is saying here He is the Good Shepherd. He's saying I know my sheep and they know me. We're talking people with sheep like characteristics. If you know sheep they have many endearing characteristics. Lambs are cute and playful. Ewes are maternal, protective and loving of their offspring and family groups. Rams are dominant and show leadership of the flock. Sheep are loyal and loving and can be wise, gracious, obedient and worthy of admiration just like people.

 

Sheep can also be rebellious, obstinate, independent, arrogant, angry, violent, aggressive, impulsive, unwise, foolish and stupid creatures, just like people. If God can love sheep so completely that he would give His life to find one of the flock that is lost. I can finally understand how God can love me. I completely associate with all of the characteristics of sheep. I can be stupid and sinful and make the worst and most impulsive decisions and yet Jesus Christ is my Lord, my Savior and my Good Shepherd. I am His sheep and I know Him and He knows me. He loves me and I love Him. My beloved Adonai Elohim. I'll be a sheep in His flock any day and forever.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh! I'm a Sheep…

              John 10:14  I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; ...