Friday, November 24, 2023

Why Christians Need To Pray

I’ve prayed for a couple of things lately that have caused me to review my attitude to prayer. I’ve always felt like “Why would God listen to me?” I mean when I look back at my life I can see that God has plainly answered my prayer and the results have been amazing and astounding. Yet I still have felt that I have little that would be of consequence to God.

However, lately I’ve prayed for two separate situations that I felt were unlikely to see an answer to prayer. One because I could not see how it fit in with God’s plans and the other because it was at work and I did not see God intervening in that situation either. Yet the results were equally miraculous.

In situation one a specific outcome happened in a way that I asked for it too. In situation two, at work, there was a complete change in the situation that exceeded any thing I could have hoped for. It is worth noting that the prayer for situation two was with a group of Christians. So my point here is that generally speaking I feel that most Christians do not pray for a lot of situations in their lives. Largely because they do not believe that God would intercede on their behalves.

The reality is that much of the work of God depends on the prayer of his children in accordance with His will. So we don’t get because we don’t pray. We don’t see change because we don’t ask. We have wrong motives which don’t align with God’s will. James 4: 2-3 “You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions.”

I do not mean to accuse anyone. I never really liked this piece of scripture because it made me feel uncomfortable and I didn’t agree with it. After a bit of an epiphany it finally makes sense. God answers prayer so if we search the scriptures and make an effort to seek God’s will. We can see answers to prayer that will further the Kingdom of God.

I have to say that I have never been a consistent pray-er. God has His methods of getting in touch with me. He often wakes me in the very early morning after a fitful sleep and places burdens on my heart. I usually pray long and hard for the things He puts on my heart. I never really know whether He answers those prayers but I assume that because they are close to His will that He does.

I think that if we all prayed to Yahweh Elohim more consistently we would see much of the social carnage in society begin to reverse. I know what you’re thinking. We already do pray consistently. I guess what I would say to that is that I think a lot of Christians don’t believe that God will answer their prayers. So, they either pray half heartedly or don’t pray at all. Scripture says in Mark 11:24 “Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you.”

I have certainly found that this works in my case. Believe that your prayer will be answered and seek to pray in accordance with God’s will and you will see answers. Remember “Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; In everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18.

So, remember my friends. Pray without ceasing for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. If we all pray and seek God. If we give thanks in everything and trust God in everything. I believe, there will be such a move of God that all of mankind will be moved to trust in Jesus of Nazareth. Now that would be something to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Rapture

  Hebrews 9:28 ESV   So Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin b...