Saturday, March 3, 2018

You won't believe it...



This week I’ve seen a really good video on what happened to the cities on the plain above the Dead Sea in the ancient land of Canaan. Most of us would know them as Sodom and Gomorrah but there were actually five cities in total. The video was awesome and I recommend that you have a look at it too. I’ll include a link at the end of this note.
 
However, there is a scripture that I want you to have a look at with me. Let take you back to 1900 BC. Two Angels of the Lord have arrived at the Gate of Sodom and are met by Abraham’s nephew Lot. He takes them into his home and prepares a meal for them. After they eat and as they are about to retire the men of the city surround his house and order Lot to give them the Angels to have their way with. The angels blind the men and pull Lot back into the house. 
 
What happens next is in the bible at Genesis 19 verses 12-14. Verse “12 The two men said to Lot, “Do you have anyone else here—sons-in-law, sons or daughters, or anyone else in the city who belongs to you? Get them out of here, 13 because we are going to destroy this place. The outcry to the Lord against its people is so great that he has sent us to destroy it.” 14 So Lot went out and spoke to his sons-in-law, who were pledged to marry his daughters. He said, “Hurry and get out of this place, because the Lord is about to destroy the city!” But his sons-in-law thought he was joking.
 
Look at the response from his sons-in-law. They thought he was joking! God was about to destroy the city with fire and brimstone. He actually rained elemental sulfur on cities which reacted fiercely with the limestone of the walls and dwellings releasing energy and a fervent heat which consumed everyone and everything in the city. But these men were so deluded by the wickedness of their hearts that they laughed at Lot and thought he was joking. They went merrily to their deaths.
 
You know I can believe that this could happen today. I work with youngsters every day in my work as a relief teacher and I watch with concern as they more and more frequently make choices to follow the path of darkness. I don’t know if you have listened to the lyrics of many of the modern hip hop songs but I will give you an example of the type of thing these children are being exposed too. 
 
Ayy, b.... I been goin' and goin' like the Energizer Yeah, I'm supplyin' the wood like Elijah Indica, smokin' on indica Might f... around and compartmentalize ya They say, they say life is a b..... and if that is the case then I'm finna surprise it No, I am not an adviser, but I do advise you to pay attention Never need to mention, I'm that motherf...er bustin' heads Finna push it to the ledge Yeah, I've been smokin' my meds Ain't got no love for the feds Can't let fame go to your head F... with me, watch where you tread
 
The excerpt above is from http://www.metrolyrics.com/44-more-lyrics-logic.html and is pa for the course on the type song that our kids are listening too. Given that music goes into the brain via the thalamus it is able to be processed into the brain unconsciously and is able to have a powerful influence on mood and can even change the brain. “Music is a transformative technology,” according to Aniruddh Patel of The Neurosciences Institute in San Diego. 
 
So what our kids are listening to is changing their moods and their brains. I’m seeing youngsters from good backgrounds with real ability behaving in much the same ways that only at risk children were behaving five years ago. Society is changing in front of our eyes. Darkness is spreading throughout the Western World. 
 
It concerns me that what happened in Lot’s time could happen again today. So, if we tried to sound the alarm to the young folk of this era that they would not listen and in fact think we are joking. I’ve said some of this to some of these dear young people with mixed results. One youngster said “I hadn’t really thought about that Sir. That I’m putting bad things in my mind.” She really heard what I was saying but others simply told me to “Stop being a buzz kill.” 
 
My solemn warning to all is simply this. “What you put in front of your eyes or in through your ears changes your brain. Where your treasure is is where your heart is. Conversely, what you watch or listen to is what you become.
 
If you want to be a fine Christian stop watching and listening to non Christian content. I’ve made a conscious effort to do this in my own life and found that is beginning to make a profound difference. Study the history of Christianity, watch and listen to the saints of our era. Even if you don’t agree with all that they say and do then, at least you are thinking about the things of Jesus Christ and not being distracted by the things of this world.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBCs4wexgRk Sodom and Gomorrah - Ross Patterson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Rapture

  Hebrews 9:28 ESV   So Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin b...