Sunday, September 22, 2019

When I Was Six I Got the Measles...


I was a student in Room Two at Te Poi Primary School. It was later in the autumn of 1967. I had been unwell the previous evening and Mum and Dad had called the Doctor. He had visited me and taken a sample for testing. About mid morning there was a knock at the door of Room Two and Dad, was there. He spoke briefly to the teacher and I got my bag, made my farewells and left for home.

Mum was packing a bag for me and we were only home briefly. We got in the car and headed for Waikato Hospital. We were there in about an hour and a half. It was an uneventful trip if not accompanied by a little anxiety as I didn’t really know what was happening. I gathered it was to do with the Doctor’s visit the day before.

We arrived at the hospital and I was admitted. I was prodded and poked by doctors and treated well by the nurses. I failed to find the toilets on time the first afternoon there and wet the floor in the corridor. The nurses were wonderful and I quickly found the layout of the ward. It was beautifully clean and I remember the shiny white linoleum on the floor, polished to a a lustrous sheen.

There was soon another with me in the room and I remember others coming in as well. Some with measles, some with other sicknesses. I think that was what I was there for also? I never did confirm that. A friend of mine at Te Poi School died of measles the following year when I was in Standard One in Room 3.

People came and went during the few days I was there. Mum and Dad and the family came and saw me in hospital. Dad bought me a picture book each time he came and I ended up with three of them. One was ‘The House that Jack Built,’ another ‘The Three Little Kittens,’ and I don’t remember the third although I believe I have them down in he garage on a a set of shelves there.

It was a special time. Although I was sick I was well cared for and I felt loved and supported by my loving family. I was in hospital for four days I believe and that probably meant I went into hospital on the Monday afternoon and left Friday afternoon. The trip home was again uneventful but I do remember the journey down Cobham Drive and out of the city past the car wrecker outside of Hamilton. Mum dressed me warmly when I got home and I remember not being allowed to go outside mush over the weekend. I was back at school on the Monday morning. A week later to the day.


 Alter Call

Friends I want you to know that God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, that whosoever believes on him shall not perish but inherit eternal life. You need to understand that you are not alone in needing his forgiveness. Romans 3:10 “There is none righteous, not even one.” Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned and all fall short of the glory of God.” Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” So won’t you believe on him that your sins may be forgiven and that you may receive the free gift of God which is eternal life Christ Jesus our Lord?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Rapture

  Hebrews 9:28 ESV   So Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin b...